Log in if you are already a member or Join the forum for free today and get your pictures and specs up on your pride and joy!

thanks from the Administrators of MODIFIED MONSTERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Log in if you are already a member or Join the forum for free today and get your pictures and specs up on your pride and joy!

thanks from the Administrators of MODIFIED MONSTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Top posters
1250cinqturbo (ADMIN) (2480)
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer Vote_lcapWater Methanol Injection mods for the summer Voting_barWater Methanol Injection mods for the summer Vote_rcap 
RYAN (1531)
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer Vote_lcapWater Methanol Injection mods for the summer Voting_barWater Methanol Injection mods for the summer Vote_rcap 
James (1138)
Mario (1116)
88rsr (729)
Mitch (502)
munkul (490)
Yankee (483)
b47t0n (230)
Matt (226)

Latest topics
» Polo 6n2 & corsa stuff
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 6:54 am by greeny

» MX 5 The current Project
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 am by allanhelen

» crazy.....
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:01 pm by Adam_4plates

» VW Polo 1.4 MPI For Sale
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 am by ruhulse

» Show/Roll Cages, Painting, Modification
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm by Guest

» Hi all
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm by Adam_4plates

» hello all
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:10 pm by 400bhp

» Fiat Punto 1.2 Sporting Turbo Conversion
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 pm by Dimzit

» Fiat Punto 1.2 Sporting Turbo Conversion
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 5:42 pm by Dimzit

» New to this so hi all (Punto 1.2 Sporting)
Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 5:24 pm by Dimzit

Statistics
We have 468 registered users
The newest registered user is mikeyp42

Our users have posted a total of 10547 messages in 1286 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 173 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 am
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer

2 posters

Go down

Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer Empty Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer

Post by 1250cinqturbo (ADMIN) Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Ive have a few plans to modify my water injection system ready for the summer to help cope with the heat soak my little GT cooler can tend to duffer from following some interesting reading on a Vauxhall forum Smile

I would love to fit the large FMIC but to fit it properly for long term use i need to sort out my front bumper as its in no fit state to support a heavy Alloy cooler......

Meanwhile.................

ive been running water methanol injection for a few moths now with great results, mixing water with concentrate screen-wash which is used as fuel to attempt to maintain the correct air fuel ratio, mainly because the cooling effects of the water tend to lean of the mixture slightly! plus methanol alone has a 112 octane rating.

My current medium sized water jet is fitted in the boost pipe around 2ft away form the TB meaning most of the water is doing the job of soaking up heat leaving what should be a small amount less to enter the cylinders again raising both cylinder pressure while effectively razing the Octane rating considerable.

What i plan on doin is one of two things..

Firstly is using this push fit adaptor in the pic below to run two jets, one close to the TB itself so a slightly larger amount of water and methanol enter the cylinder and one jet just after the turbo were the temps are at there highest, the water injected here (given the correct sized jet) will evaporate almost straight away as it works it way into the cooler. The plan here is to optimise and increase the coolers efficiency so the air coming out is much cooler and denser, then the extra jet can deal with the cylinder's more direct which again requires a careful choice of jet size or power can be lost. If it all goes well the new mod will increase the effective octane even more and lower cylinder temps a little more while keeping the air entering the cylinder as cool as possible.

Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer 806-361__22686_zoom

The next little touch ive seen is a proper jet adaptor for use with silicone pipes upto 2 bar of pressure Smile mine are screwed into the thin wall of my stainless boost pipe and sealed with silicone so less than ideal, here is the fitting -

Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer Bore__44642_zoomWater Methanol Injection mods for the summer Jet-tube__81497_zoom

Its estimated to cost about 80 quid to carry out this mod but according to my sources intake temps can be lowered a further 10 degrees over my kit roughly based on a 35 degree inlet temp i recorded last year in the summer with my water injection kit, and cylinder temps "can" in cases drop upto 300 degrees leaving a very large safety margin against detonation.

the other option is to place one jet actually before the turbo to optimise the turbo's efficiency, ERL sell a frame that sits in one of the pipes before the turbo and its said the water is evaporated before it leaves the compressor housing taking with it a hell of alot of heat,

Either way im now lucky enough to have a spare MF2 so this setup can now be fully 3D mappable Smile

thanks

Jason
1250cinqturbo (ADMIN)
1250cinqturbo (ADMIN)
FORUM OWNER! and Administrator

Forum Points : 10202

http://www.modifiedmonsters.com

Back to top Go down

Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer Empty Re: Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer

Post by munkul Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:35 pm

IMO go pre-compressor, the rx-7 boys use pre-comp a lot and at the lest it drops charge temps, at most it can even stretch out a smaller turbo's efficiency at high boost!

Anyways good stuff with the mf2, thats the problem with a lot of people's WI setups - constant flow rate above a certain boost pressure really isnt optimal.

munkul
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Forum Points : 5909

Back to top Go down

Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer Empty Re: Water Methanol Injection mods for the summer

Post by 1250cinqturbo (ADMIN) Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 pm

munkul wrote:IMO go pre-compressor, the rx-7 boys use pre-comp a lot and at the lest it drops charge temps, at most it can even stretch out a smaller turbo's efficiency at high boost!

Anyways good stuff with the mf2, thats the problem with a lot of people's WI setups - constant flow rate above a certain boost pressure really isnt optimal.

cheers for the comments, yes i was doing a little reading on a Vauxhall forum abut the pre-compressor set-ups and they seemed to like it alot, for reasons as you say it can increased the efficiency of the turbo to the point where it could have great positive effects on map itself, increasing a compressor's adiabatic efficiency enabling it to run higher boost, its definitely something to consider and im going to dig a little deeper and have a chat with Aquamist because the more i read the more i see that when you completely optimise water injection its effects on cooling, reliability and performance can be really impressive (especially on diesels so i read), and judging by the results ive seen with my basic set up it should be worth it, ive seen good inlet temp drops on my gauges and a nice increase in engine power so i think given the fact that i have a spare MF2 then modifying the setup seems like a good idea Smile

Thanks

Jason
1250cinqturbo (ADMIN)
1250cinqturbo (ADMIN)

Forum Points : 10202

http://www.modifiedmonsters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down